These two volumes are a brand new edition (not a facsimile) of volumes five and six of Whitefield's Works last published in 1771-1772, plus some extra material and the added value of extensive footnotes giving historical and theological background.
"George Whitefield is surely the greatest of all British preachers. These transcriptions of some of Whitefield's sermons inevitably conceal much of his genius, but they do convey a sense of the power, simplicity and vivid impact of his message which God used to such remarkable effect in the 18th Century. This collection and Lee Gatiss' excellent introduction will inspire today's preachers and prompt us to follow the example of this great and godly man."
Vaughan Roberts, Rector of St. Ebbe's, Oxford and President of the Proclamation Trust.
‘In a time of much confusion about what counts as true Anglican theology, the Reformed Evangelical Anglican Library is a great gift, both to remind, to resource and, perhaps too, to rebuke today’s Anglicans. It is an especial joy to commend this edition of Whitefield’s sermons, which provides such a readable and accessible text of Whitefield. May it spur us on in our time to proclaim Jesus Christ as passionately as Whitefield did, and with a similar biblical faithfulness.’
Dr. Michael Ovey, Principal of Oak Hill Theological College, London.
The publishers have done Anglican Evangelicals (and many others) a great service in bringing these wonderful sermons by George Whitefield back into easily accessible form. Lee Gatiss’s excellent and comprehensive Introduction gives a clear way in to grasping the salient features of Whitefield’s life and convictions, and of his relationship to classic Protestant Anglicanism. All those who want urgently to reconnect the contemporary Church of England with its evangelical heritage will be nourished and encouraged by this volume, and no doubt by subsequent volumes in this Series.
Christopher Ash, Director of the Cornhill Training Course, London
Review by James M. Garretson, Banner of Truth Magazine, issue 592, (February 2013).
Review by Douglas Sweeney, Director of the Jonathan Edwards Centre, Trinity Evangelical Divinity School (August 2012).
Review by Tanner Turley, Themelios / The Gospel Coalition, volume 37, Issue1 (April 2012).
Review by Revd Carl Chambers, Churchman (Spring 2012).
Review by Revd Professor Allan. M. Harman, Reformed Theological Review (December 2011)
Review by Dr Ken Brownell, Protestant Truth Society Magazine (July-August 2011).
Review by Revd Matthew Mason, Ecclesia Reformanda, issue 3.1 (April 2011).
Review by Faith Cook, Evangelicals Now, December 2010.
Whitefield Sermon's (Crossway books version) featured on Justin Taylor's blog (The Gospel Coalition) - September 2012.
Introduction by Lee Gatiss
1. The Seed of the Woman and the Seed of the Serpent (Genesis 3:15)
2. Walking with God (Genesis 5:24)
3. Abraham’s Offering up his Son Isaac (Genesis 22:12)
4. The Great Duty of Family Religion (Joshua 24:15)
5. Christ the Best Husband (Psalm 45:10-11)
6. Britain’s Mercies and Britain’s Duty (Psalm 105:45)
7. Thankfulness for Mercies Received, a Necessary Duty (Psalm 107:30-31)
8. The Necessity of Benefits of Religious Society (Ecclesiastes 4:9-12)
9. The Folly and Danger of Not Being Righteous Enough (Ecclesiastes 7:16)
10. A Preservative against Unsettled Notions (Ecclesiastes 7:16)
11. The Benefits of an Early Piety (Ecclesiastes 12:1)
12. Christ the Believer’s Husband (Isaiah 44:5)
13. The Potter and the Clay (Jeremiah 18:1-6)
14. The Lord our Righteousness (Jeremiah 23:6)
15. The Righteousness of Christ an Everlasting Righteousness (Daniel 9:24)
16. The True Way of Keeping Christmas (Matthew 1:21)
17. The Temptation of Christ (Matthew 4:1-11)
18. The Heinous Sin of Profane Cursing and Swearing (Matthew 5:34)
19. Christ the Support of the Tempted (Matthew 6:13)
20. Worldly Business no Plea for the Neglect of Religion (Matthew 8:22)
21. Christ the Only Rest for the Weary and Heavy Laden (Matthew 11:28)
22. The Folly of Parting with Christ for the Pleasures and Profits of Life (Matthew 8:23-34)
23. Marks of a True Conversion (Matthew 18:3)
24. What Think ye of Christ? (Matthew 22:42)
25. The Wise and Foolish Virgins (Matthew 25:13)
26. The Eternity of Hell Torments (Matthew 25:46)
27. Blind Bartimeus (Mark 10:52)
28. Directions How to Hear Sermons (Luke 8:18)
29. The Extent and Reasonableness of Self-Denial (Luke 9:23)
30. Christ’s Transfiguration (Luke 9:28-36)
continued in volume 2
Click here for link to PDF previews of vols 1 & 2.
Further information about George Whitefield on this website, including links to articles and a short biography by David Streater.