This report is due to be debated on Tuesday morning. The Synod has already had opportunity to consider various reports on Clergy Terms of Serice but this is the first opportunity to consider the Draft Measure. If passed it will be revised before being considered again twice by the Synod. The Measure would then be scrutinised by Parliament and is likely to come into force in 2009 at the earliest.
The initial reports were prompted by government threats to regulate for clergy without security of tenure. The Church decided to produce proposals to embrace all clergy and to abolish the clergy freehold and transfer benefice property to the Diocese. At an earlier stage the Synod rejected the transfer of the church and churchyard.
Press Release 2 Feb 2007 - The £3.5 Billion Church Robbery
Clergy Terms of Service - July 2006 report
Clergy Terms of Service - Property - November 2006 report
Clergy Terms of Service - July 2005 report
The items being considered are:
- Draft Ecclesiastical Offices (Terms of Service) Measure (GS 1637)
- Terms Service Report (GS 1637-9x)
- Draft Ecclesiastical Offices (Terms of Service) Regulations (GS 1638)
- Draft Amending Canon No 29 (GS 1639) and
- Report and Explanantory Memorandum (GS 1637-9X)
Clergy Terms of Service page
General Synod agendas (link to CofE website)